Port Moresby is the capital and the largest city in PNG with a population of 307,643 (2009). It is located on the Gulf of Papua, on the southeastern coast of the island of New Guinea.
Port Moresby and Townville City Council (QLD) had been sister cities prior to joining the Good Practice Scheme. The scheme however paved the way for a new approach to some of the complexities facing the National Capital District Commission (NCDC).
GPS Objective: To build on and improve the processes and outcomes of the regulatory services of the NCDC.
Under this objective, the partnership aims to:
- Improve record management;
- Conduct consultations with the business sector in the city with the view to improving services including customer service;
- Achieve a more efficient turnaround of planning applications and improved enforcement;
- Establish a ‘one stop shop’ unit for regulatory services supported by the latest information technology. It is also intended that the ‘one stop shop’ will provide a foundation for an enhanced rating and revenue performance system.
To achieve their objective, activities under this partnership include:
- Capacity building of NCDC staff to enforce decisions, approvals and conditions of development;
- Establishment and implementation of IT systems, structures and staff capacity to support the regulatory services;
- Establishment of a high integrity property database;
- Achieve higher rating and revenue collections by way of improved property ownership, management and use of information.
Achievements to date include:
- Improvement of the regulatory services processes and outcomes through the multi-skilling of administration staff, the implementation and upgrade of a central filing system, timely execution of staff work plans, implementation of staff meetings with senior management staff twice a month;
- Improved reporting on illegal developments in close collaboration with NCDC legal services;
- Establishment and implementation of an IT Platform;
- Improvement of a property database;
- Enhanced IT capabilities, improved application processes for financial services, increased revenue streams and greater cost savings for NCDC.