Lae is the capital of the Morobe Province and second largest city in PNG. It is located at the start of the Highlands Highway – the main land transport corridor from the highlands to the coast and the largest cargo port of the country.
Cairns Regional Council (QLD) and Lae ULLG have been working together on an integrated waste management strategy for the city. Waste management in particular is a great challenge for the local authority to manage. In response, Cairns will provide technical expertise and advice in the development of a strategy that was planned to cover the period 2004 – 2014.
To develop an integrated waste management strategy for the City of Lae for the period of 2004 – 2014.
To achieve their objective, the key activities include:
- Development of a landfill site;
- Training of Lae staff;
- Identification of waste collection area and bin rollout;
- Improvement of service cost and revenue streams;
- Determination of recycling options;
- Development of a tender process and systems;
- Identification of funding opportunities for capital infrastructure.
Achievements to date include:
- The documentation of a waste strategy for the City of Lae which is due to be implemented with the assistance of Cairns Council.