Goroka is the capital of the Eastern Highlands Province of PNG. It was established in 1939 and was used as a rest centre during WWII. A small outpost station in the 1950s, Goroka was built around an airstrip and now boasts a population of 19,000. It is the commercial centre for four other highland provinces – Simbu, Western Highlands, Enga and Southern Highlands. Goroka’s main export is coffee.
The Hunter Group of Councils, which comprises 11* local government areas are currently in the scoping phase of their partnership with Goroko ULLG. Main areas of focus include:
- the technical capacity of administration to deliver ULLG services;
- town cleaning and beautification;
- improved road conditions;
- proper Urban Development Plan; and
- street lighting.
* Cessnock City Council, Dungog Shire Council, Glouster Shire Council, Great Lakes Council, Lake Macquarie City Council, Maitland City Council, Muswellbrook Shire Council, Newcastle City Council, Port Stephens Council, Singleton Council, Upper Hunter Shire Council.